- 1). Determine which type of emergency brakes your Nissan Sentra will need. Emergency brakes typically function by activating the regular braking system on the driving wheels. The emergency brakes for the Nissan Sentra operate the brake shoes for the drums on the rear wheels.
- 2). Raise the vehicle and remove the rear wheels with a socket wrench. Slide the brake drum from the rear axle. You may need to screw in two 8mm bolts with a socket wrench to press the drum from the wheel hub.
- 3). Remove the return springs, brake adjuster assembly, hold-down springs and brake shoes from the brake drum. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the toggle lever with a socket wrench.
- 4). Install the new brake shoes with the hold-down springs. Hook the return springs into the new shoes and attach the brake adjuster assembly. Connect the parking brake cable to the lever with a socket wrench.
- 5). Connect the brake drum and rear wheels with a socket wrench. Adjust the brakes and bleed the hydraulic system, if needed. Check the parking brake adjustment.